Milner Library, located in the heart of campus, is an active partner in the teaching, learning, and research activities of Illinois State University.
Students have access to spaces for group work and individual study, printing, multimedia development rooms, and technology to check out such as laptops, graphing calculators, and digital cameras. Every student is assigned a personal librarian, who can provide individualized guidance with research projects.
Additionally, students can get help through instant messaging, text, and e-mail via our “Ask a Librarian” service. Milner Library has textbooks and other class readings for specific courses available for in-library use, as well as ample information resources and books to support all levels of research projects, from first-year undergraduates to tenured faculty.
The library at Illinois State Normal University opened in 1890, thirty-three years after the opening of the university. Until that time, departments held their own collections. Over its history, the library has resided in five buildings and moved into the current facility in 1976. The present building is named in honor of Angeline Vernon Milner, who was the first university librarian from 1890-1928.