Information Fluency Program
Milner Library is committed to enriching the learning environment of Illinois State University through the promotion of Information Fluency, which takes a holistic approach to the way students learn to interact with information related to their studies and personal lives. Our programming creates a foundation to build teaching and learning opportunities that encourages engagement and higher order thinking. Read more in this short article: Information Fluency at ISU.
The Information Fluency Program enables students of Illinois State University to:
- Identify diverse venues and formats of information sources in order to critically analyze information and its contexts.
- Investigate differing viewpoints and engage in strategic exploration of ideas in order to contribute to local, national, and global discourse.
- Synthesize information during the content creation process in order to generate and disseminate new knowledge and content.
- Articulate the complexity of issues related to using information and intellectual property in order to use, share, and create knowledge in an ethical and legal manner.
- Share ideas responsibly in a variety of formats and contexts in order to recognize themselves as knowledge creators.
Information fluency is the ability to critically think while engaging with, creating, and utilizing information and technology regardless of format or platform. Specifically, an information fluent individual has these competencies:
- Recognize the need for information;
- Formulate a plan to obtain the information including appropriate technologies to be used;
- Discover, identify, and retrieve information from multiple venues and in multiple formats;
- Evaluate and select relevant and credible information;
- Synthesize obtained information or create new information using various technologies; and
- Present or publish an information product to an audience using an appropriate platform.
Information Fluency Rubric used for General Education.
Learning Outcomes for COM 110 and ENG 101/101.10