Milner Library Tornado Procedures
Tornado Watch: Weather conditions are favorable to produce a tornado. Be alert to changing weather conditions and listen for a possible "tornado warning" announcement.
Tornado Warning: A tornado has been sighted that affects the university. Prepare to take cover immediately.
In the event of a tornado warning affecting the university, Milner Library faculty and staff will be notified by the following procedures:
- Telephone Alert System: Environmental Health & Safety will immediately call all campus phones equipped with VOIP technology. One of these staff members will initiate a red-flagged e-mail to the entire library, alerting library faculty and staff of the warning.
- ISU Emergency Alert: Environmental Health & Safety will call or send a text message to cell phones that are registered with the campus emergency notification service.
Tornado Warning Action Procedures
- Take shelter immediately. The safest areas are spaces without windows on Floors 1-5. Avoid the 6th floor.
- Assist staff and patrons with physical disabilities to safer spaces.
- Access Services staff will unlock doors to IRMA and, after 5:00 p.m., to Room 109 for shelter.