Power Outage Procedures
A power outage may be localized in one portion of Milner Library or it may affect the entire building, the campus, and the surrounding community. During a power outage, most mechanical systems in the building will stop functioning, including elevators, most lighting, and the HVAC system. Automatic emergency lights will provide lighting in limited areas. All library computers will stop functioning. Ericsson telephones may be affected, and VOIP telephones will operate only on limited battery power. A power outage does not require the evacuation of the building, but it will dramatically affect operations for both library staff and patrons.
- Use flashlights to move through dark areas of the building and to assist patrons. Flashlights are located at the Circulation Desk, Reference Desk, in disaster kits on each floor, and near staff mailboxes adjacent to the staff elevator on Floors 4-6.
- Check public and staff elevators for stranded passengers by knocking on elevator doors on each floor. If passengers are stranded in elevators, call 911 and request assistance.
- If patrons or staff with disabilities are unable to use the stairs and request to leave the building, call 911 and ask for assistance.
- Access Services staff will call Facilities Maintenance (8-2036, Monday-Friday 8 am to 5 pm; 309-823-0411 for after-hours and weekends) and report the outage and whether it is localized or building-wide.
- If the outage occurs outside of normal business hours AND lasts for more than 15 minutes, Access Services staff will notify a member of Library Administration for guidance.