Single Culture Exhibits
The Developmental Stages in Children's Artwork
When given the opportunity, most individuals develop through the sequence of the first three stages, many progress to the transitional stage, and a few maturing artists reach the stage of cultural realism. The ages are approximate. Other names have been used for these stages, however the sequence and characteristics are similar.
- Scribbling stage, two to four years.
- The first symbolic stage (pre-schematic), three to seven years.
- The schematic stage, six to ten years.
- The stage of decision (transitional), nine years and up.
- The stage of cultural realism, twelve years and up.