School Librarianship Program: Admission and Registration
To be admitted to the program, all students must:
- Have obtained a 3.0 GPA or better in the last 60 semester hours of undergraduate work
- Possess a current teacher certificate
- Complete an online graduate application to the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program in School Librarianship. Be sure to clearly document your teaching experience (schools, position held, and dates of employment).
- Submit two letters of recommendation from a professional educator and/or librarian who is knowledgeable of your work and goals
- Prepare a satisfactory 1-2 page Professional Goals Statement (see below)
- You can find the application on the Office of Admissions website. Documents can be uploaded with application; letters of recommendation should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to: Anita Beaman, Campus Box 8900, Normal, IL 61790.Please note the GRE is not required.
International applicants must also complete the TOEFL exam with scores of at least 550 on the paper/pencil test; 213 on the computer-based test; or 79 on the internet-based test (IBT).
Potential applicants can find more application information online from the ISU Office of Admissions.
Professional Goals Statement
The professional goal statement should address the following questions:
- What do you see as the role of the school librarian in developing a 21st century learning community? Please address the librarian's potential involvement with faculty, students, adminstrators and community.
- To be a successful facilitator of this community, school librarians must possess a variety of traits, including leadership, love of lifelong learning, flexibilty, the ability to collaborate, and a willingness to be an advocate for program, student and faculty needs. Which of these traits do you possess and how do you think they will benefit you as a school librarian? Which do you think you'll need to further develop, and how do you hope to do so?
Admissions & Program Checklist
Use the following checklist to help guide you through the program. For questions, contact Anita Beaman.
What To Do Next: Student Checklist
All students must request an override before registering for library science courses. If you wish to register, please contact Anita Beaman with questions or to request an override.